Friday, September 23, 2011

How can a college student get financial aid if he/she is undocumented? Can she start the legalization process?

I'm currently a 3rd year UCLA student pursuing a career in medicine. My family came to the US from the Philippines in 1993 under my dad's L-1 Visa. I graduated from my high school at the top of my class, have worked numerous jobs, pay for my car, rent, and even have my own online jewelry business. HUGE problem though -- I'm undocumented and am unable to get financial aid. My father's visa expired some time ago and because of problems with INS papers, the visa is now out-of-status and our case cannot be appealed. I DO have a social security number, a valid employment authorization card, a CA driver's license, work for a US company, and pay taxes. However, I am unable to get federal financial aid because I am neither a US citizen or a Permanent Resident. I am really struggling with paying tuition, so I am wondering if there is ANY way I can start the legalization process at this point. Med school is expensive, and without aid, I don't think I'll be able to go. Any advice?|||its sad to hear you're in such a tough predicament.....im sorry but i may not have any real solution for you but i do know that if you are out of status for more than a year and you get caught by ICE...they might deport you and you will not be able to reenter the US 3-10 yrs.....i would advice you to seek consultation with a lawyer....you hv a unique situation and perhaps there maybe some legal remedy....try not to stay out of status too long as it may jepardize you chances of getting permanent residency...there maybe two ways you could help yourself....change career path from a doctor to a nurse - get your degree quicker ...get licensed and have a hospital sponsor you for green card (my cousin is doing this...it will be about 2 yrs by the time the whole process takes place)....or simply marry a guy who's a US citizen and have him sponsor you....either way...you definitely have some hardships ahead of you ....in my experience ...tryin to get employment visa is very tough as only 50,000 visas are available each year ....on the other hand if you marry a us citizen...you become an immediate family member and your given a conditional green card 4-6 months into your gc application and after two yrs you get your permanent green card...im sure you must know someone who can sponsor your through marriage....i hope things work out for you.....and maybe perhaps this amnesty bill passes and you can apply then....if not consult a good lawyer and see if they have any viable options for you... good luck!!!|||Write to your congressman! A congress man can get your paperwork pushed through. Tell him everything you told us here. It's people like you who get forgotten aboutwith the deabte on immigration. Good luck.

Report Abuse


|||You need to contact Immigration and find out the procedure in becoming a citizen -it is vitally important to follow rules procedures esp the laws of the country that you are living in as to your status in that country if you plan to stay/live there.Life lesson for you to learn from. Why would you even expect to get aid unless you are a citizen-America is not so wealthy that we can afford to help the world and thats basically what you expected.Anyone being here from any country -it is sufficient that you are allowed to live her,work here get education and medical aid but do not expected a free ride from the govt.Many US BecameCitizens and even those born here are unable to get aid and they should have priority. Become a citizen then apply for aid and check out scholarships.|||I don't care who you are, what you've done, what you plan on doing or what a huge screw-up you father is. You don't get any financial aid. Understand?

No comments:

Post a Comment