Friday, September 23, 2011

How will my financial aid be affected by my getting married?

I'm planning on getting married in June of next year, but I'm considering postponing because I'm afraid that it will negatively affect my financial aid. I'm currently a dependent of my mom (who makes very little money) and my fiance make more than her (though still not that much). I'm wondering if any one knows how the expected family income is determined. I'm seeing a counselor about it next month but I'm hoping some one will give me an idea of what to expect, before I get to stoked about my wedding :(|||Your financial situation will not change until the beginning of 2012, because your FAFSA takes your previous year's income into consideration. An easy way to figure out if you have an expected family contribution, is to take the combined annual income (You and your husband), subtract housing expenses, car payments, etc. and then subtract $4,500. If you still have a positive sum, then you will have to contribute to your college fund, and your aid might be reduced. if you end up with a negative sum, then your status will not change.|||yes put it off unless you don't mind lying about your annual household income and not writing that your married on school papers or whatever on applications


keep it secret from the school

No comments:

Post a Comment